Penelope Eye Update



Sorry it's been so long since I've posted - I'm a bad blogger! I've just been so busy with making new friends with other moms, playing with Penelope, and just general life. I really don't have too much time to write now, but I wanted to give everyone an update on what's going on with Penelope's eye and her hemangioma. Basically we've been putting a topical beta blocker called topolol on her eye for the past month hoping that it would shrink the mark. It seems to be working ever so slowly...but we went to the eye doctor today and it wasn't good news. Basically her eye is in need of glasses at this point. He showed me the lenses of what her eyesight is like, and it's pretty blurry. He said that the best thing to do at this point is to put drops in her good eye to make it blurry so that she will be forced to use her bad eye. This will hopefully prevent her from developing a lazy eye. In 2 months we'll go back to him where he will probably prescribe baby glasses. We may also have to patch her good eye from time to time to continue making her use the bad eye and avoid a lazy eye situation.

We're going back to the dermatologist who prescribed the topical treatment on the 13th. We may decide to try a more aggressive treatment, depending on what she says. The eye doctor said that if this stops pressing on her eye soon that there may be a chance that her eye could go back to normal and her vision could improve....but if it just keeps pushing and pushing it's only going to get worse.

I was pretty upset when I heard all of this today, but I'm trying to keep it all in perspective. She's healthy, she's happy....and she's awesome. She just may take after her mommy and need glasses. They're pretty cute anyway, and I think she could rock them!



Well that's about it for now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP