Nesting

The nesting has begun.  I have started thinking and dreaming about how I want our little girl’s nursery to look.  It is pretty funny….she is still months away but I am obsessed with getting everything ready now.  I guess it’s good to do it before I get huge and can’t move around like I can now.

So…I started with looking for furniture.  I wanted to get a few pieces for her room – like a dresser, changing table, and things of that nature.  I started my quest by looking in the typical places.  Target, Ikea, Babies R Us….but nothing caught my eye.  Then I looked at Land of Nod and Crate and Barrel…and holy crap that stuff is ridiculously expensive! Scratch that.  So then I decided to do a quick peek on craigslist.  And the stars aligned….and I found this!

A solid wood bedroom set from the 1950s. These pieces were a lady’s great grandmother’s furniture. Beautiful curved details, perfectly working drawers, and solid! And the best part?  We got the entire set for $50!!! I mean is that a steal or what?

So obviously our daughter won’t need a makeup vanity or headboard for a while – but the 2 dressers and cabinet are perfect.  We’ll just keep the other pieces in storage until it’s time for her to transition to them. The taller dresser is the perfect height to put a changing pad on top and the other one sits a bit lower.  The cabinet is perfect to store extra blankets and diapers. Horray!

So a minor setback was when our friends freaked us out by saying it could have lead paint on there since the furniture is so old.  We made a trip to Home Depot to pick up a lead paint test and thankfully it came back negative! YAY!!

The stuff was painted an off white with yellow streaked paint.  It had a few places where the paint was chipped so we decided to paint it white.  (Well I decided and Sean had to paint it…hey, I’m not allowed to). So this past weekend Sean went to work.  He did a light sanding and used spray paint. 

He's such a good sport...and handsome too!


While he was busy painting, I was busy shopping! I went to Anthropologie and bought the most beautiful knobs for the cabinet doors. I am in love!!


1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint and it’s all done! He did such a great job and I can’t wait to get it in the room! I promise to share pics once we have everything in place! YAY!!

3 comments:

N said...

Awesome! I love the new hardware. It will look so beautiful. And vintage 1950s = love. Andy also has a fair amount of spray painting to do. hehehe. Good thing they love us huh?

jenniejen said...

Oh yeah...I consider myself very lucky that Sean loves me enough to do all this work. He even offered to paint the room if I wanted him to. We just had the entire house painted less than a year ago and I told him that I would not do that to him. He said, "well if you really wanted me to I would." Aw...he just melts my heart!

Unknown said...

Those knobs are beautiful! I can't wait to see what other finds you score for her room.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP