A Letter to my Teenage Self

Inspired by Debb at Hand Pecked Designs who participated in Cassie Boorn's 20-SOMETHING SELF LETTERS, I decided to write a few words of wisdom to my former self.  Man I wish someone would have told me some of these things - could have saved a lot of grief.  However, I don't live with many regrets and all of my life experiences have molded who I am today so...who knows.

Dear Jenniejen, Smurfarave, Fer, Jen, et.al:

Below is a list of things that I think you really should consider as you continue down the road of life.  Some are simple tips, others are more monumental.  Do with them what you will...

- That bull hoop nose ring that you think is super cute…um, it’s not. One day you’re going to want to hide those pictures of you looking like an idiot from your in-laws!

- You really should take some photography classes. It’s really hard to learn on your own and you have a great resource available to you. In fact, take all the art classes you can fit into your schedule. Sure they aren’t in your major but they are valuable to create a fulfilling life. Even if you suck at art – LEARN!

- Other than the photography classes, don’t do anything different! Have fun, goof off, and graduate. After you get your degree, nobody cares what your GPA is.

- You have to work your way up the corporate ladder. Don’t get discouraged when you get a job paying $10 an hour answering phones at a radio station. It’s a stepping stone to better things.

- When your parents bring you with them on a 3 week trip to Europe – don’t be a shitty assed teenager who is more concerned with being cool and rolling her eyes. Soak it in. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and your parents are frickin’ awesome to even consider taking you on such an amazing trip! (Really wish someone had said this to me! I am such an ass!)

- Don’t waste your time dating loser guys. Remember this – people don’t change. Sure, they evolve and grow…but they don’t CHANGE. If he’s a jerk now….he’s going to be a jerk in 2 years. If he is unmotivated and a mooch now, it’s not going to change. The sooner you learn this the less time you’ll spend digging yourself out of the hole they’ve created. (People did say this to me…I guess some things you have to learn by living, unfortunately).

- Spend as much time with your mom as possible. She won’t be around too much longer. Soak up her knowledge and love.

- While you're soaking up your mom's love, look to see if her pinkies are too short too! (this one still kills me! None of my siblings have it…where did it come from? Why are my pinkies so short?! And why did I not notice until I was 23 years old? No wonder I sucked at Piano!)


- You are NOT as cool as you think you are.

- Keep on dancing all night long. One day you will be too tired and part of the corporate cog to be able to stay up and party like that. Partying like that is for the young – enjoy it!

- Don’t buy that house. It isn’t worth it and will be a financial pain in your butt! When people tell you that it’s a good investment – don’t believe them! Renting is fine!

- Enjoy being a carefree student. While it’s nice to be a “grown-up” where you make your own rules and whatnot – it’s really awesome to be taken care of and supported. To wake up at 1pm on a weekday in the summer with nothing to do but lounge.

- Live it up! All of it!


P.S. Yes, that's right, that's your new last name. Isn't it sweet?  You will get married.  And he will be fantastic!  Yay you!!

4 comments:

hand pecked debb said...

Was this therapeutic or what?

jenniejen said...

yes it felt good to get that all out!

The Velveteen said...

The part about your mom's pinkies tore me up! Bless it.

It would be cool to know though, wouldn't it?

Unknown said...

Ha, ha! Enjoyed your letter, didn't know you had a nose ring! Ha!
Love,
One of your in-laws!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP